Home of Dementia

Follow the life of EvilMister, a man so thoroughly wrapped up in his own mind that he can hardly function in an abnormal society, let alone a normal one!

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

MMORPG Support Groups.

If there aren't any, there should be. I understand now why people lose jobs, relationships, all sense of societal leanings and more than a few braincells when crushed under heel by the mighty juggernaut of online gaming.

They call online gambling a sickness, a disease which afflicts people.

Why in the hell isn't there some kind of governmental relief program for people who want to spend all of their time 'leveling up' their soldier? Why can't I get some kind of medication to stop me from plotting my deadly revenge against NumskUll120 because he fragged me in PvP zone? Why can't I go on Maury, piss and moan about how weak I am (or better yet, Dr. Phil, because he'll tell me to my face how lame I am) and then feel better about it?

I haven't played an online RPG game in almost a decade. Mulitplayer first person shooter games simply don't count because it'sa a bunch of morons shooting the shit out of each other, with no real point to it, other than how many people you can kill. Massively Multiplayer Role Playing Games are exactly what the title implies; hundreds, possibly thousands of dateless geeks (both M and F) sitting in front of their computers trying to kill enough monsters to get enough XP to level up to wield the greatest weapon their class can use, then trying to kill still more monsters to get the gold(credits/froobles/denari) to but a better set of what-the-hell-ever. 10 years ago, graphic online games wasn't even a wet dream, they simply didn't exist. Back then, the were called MUDS (multi-user dungeons) and it was all text-based.

Back then, I was hooked like a fat kid sucking back Krispy Kreme donuts and Jolt Cola until I shocked myself into a diabetic coma. I am ashamed to admit it, but I have one fucking enormous addictive personality. I accept it, but I am ashamed all the same. I will devour a game until I beat it, and with the one I am playing now, this will take some time, cuz the final level you can reach is something like 300. The world is enormous, the toys plentiful.

So are the hours I've lost. I play it before work, after work, and I kill my weekends with marathon game sessions that make me feel like I"m coming down from a drug high. I'm shaky, I sleep porrly because my mind is a friggin' computer and it's busy running critical analyses on my performance for the night, riffling through attack scenarios and high-level probability quotients. My eyes feel like boiled eggs, my hands are curled up from carpal tunnel syndrome, and I think at least one of my shins has a permanent impression on it from where it rests too tightly against my cheap-ass metal desk. If I had a girlfriend, I wouldn't because all I can think about is trying to figure out how someone can find something to sell that is worth a million dollars. I need to buy a car for my character so I can fly around, except they can cost fifteen trillion dollars. My character could have an apartment, with furniture, if I wanted, but I haven't found the in-game version of an Ikea yet, and I really doubt they'll have the futuristic equivalent of the Laholm leather loveseat. When I decide to really commit, I'll join a clan and then we'll wage war against other clans, for control of cities. I might even purchase the expansion packs (the main version of the game was recently rendered free to download and free to play for two fucking years), although I'm told my character will have to be a really high level before then ... right now my dude is only level 25, and he kind of sucks still.

Why do I bother playing a game that has no real benefit to me in Real Life?

Motherfucker, if you got to ask that question, you don't even come from the same damn planet as me. It's like asking that guy why he climbed Mt. Everest, except the answer won't be 'Because it's there' but 'Because I only need fifteen thousand more experience points and then I can buy the Sword of Everlasting Geekiness, and then I can kill the Murderous Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper.'

Shit. Go home and play friggin Solitaire if you got to ask me why. Now, I need to get some sleep so I can start fresh in the morning.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be worse. Could be a MUD support group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home